About Abasan Municipality
Abasan Al-Kabira Municipality is part of the aggregation of municipalities located in Khan Younis Governorate and to the east of Khan Younis Municipality, known as the Easteran Area (Villages). The aggregation includes Bani Suhaila, Abasan Al-Kabira, Absan Al-jadeda, Khoza’a and Al-Qarara, and is the residence of 78,425 Palestinians, according to year 2003 mid-year projected population figures.
Abasan Al-Kabira located in the south-east of the Gaza Strip, and follow to Khan Younis governorate, it lies on the borders of the green line of 1948, Abasan Al-Kabira rising from the sea surface (78 m). stooping territory from north to south any of the (96 m) to (70 m) and are free of any mountains or valleys or any other terrain is flat land territory.
The Municipality of Abasan Al-Kabira was established in 1958. The area under the jurisdiction of the Municipality of Abasan Al-Kabira is 18 km, 12 km of which are agricultural lands. There are 30,000 people living in Abasan Al-Kabira.
Abasan Al-Kabira municipality is a key stakeholder in sustainable development and leading urban development of the local community. Energy is central to Abasan Al-Kabira society same as any society. It affects all aspects of sustainable development – economic, social and environmental – and plays an important role. In May 2013, the European Commission released a new policy entitled “Empowering Local Authorities in partner countries for enhanced governance and more effective development outcomes. Abasan Al-Kabira society is a rural one and depends more than any society in services provided by the municipality. Local community needs more support to be developed and practice civil activities.
Abasan Al-Kabira has a unique collection of early Byzantine mosaics and monuments.
In 1995, the Palestinian Department of Antiquities excavated a Byzantine mosaic pavement (9 x 4 m) of a small single aisle building, most likely a chapel.
It is dated according to its Greek inscription to 666 of the Gaza Roman calendar (606 AD) and further archaeological remains are expected to be discovered in the site surrounding area.
A Byzantine individual grave oriented towards the east lies close to the northern side of the mosaic. It’s most likely attributed to a prominent person, such as a monk or saint who served the building during his life. The grave seems to have been covered by a dome or a vault as the remains of its piers are still in site.
Apart from the mosaic pavement and the grave, the excavations at the site revealed various Byzantine objects such as Byzantine pottery and glass shards, marble pillars indicating the existing of a Byzantine urban settlement in the area.
The site of the city was inhabited in the Roman era and under the Byzantine domination (a Greek inscription from 606 CE was founded here), and has several ruins dating from those periods. Furthermore, there are also some archaeological sites that related to Islamic era and the period prior the Islam like “Ibrahim” shrine.